Salesforce Connect is a framework that enables you to view, search, and modify data that’s stored outside your Salesforce org. For example, perhaps you have data that’s stored on premises in an enterprise resource planning (ERP) system. Instead of copying the data into your org, you can use external objects to access the data in real time via web service callouts.
Previously, the only way to integrate external data with Salesforce was to use extract, transform, and load (ETL) tools. That process is time consuming and requires you to copy data into your org that you might never use or quickly becomes stale. In contrast, Salesforce Connect maps data tables in external systems to external objects in your org.
External objects are similar to custom objects, except that they map to data located outside your Salesforce org. External object data is always up to date. Salesforce Connect provides a live connection to external data rather than a copy that consumes storage and must be regularly synced. Accessing an external object fetches the data from the external system in real time.
- You have a large amount of data that you don’t want to copy into your Salesforce org.
- You need small amounts of data at any one time.
- You need real-time access to the latest data.
- You store your data in the cloud or in a back-office system, but want to display or process that data in your Salesforce org.
External objects are not a replacement for ETL. If you need frequent access to large amounts of external data, ETL might still be your best option for optimal performance.
Unsupported features in external objects then custom objects –
- Data will not stored in external object of your Salesforce org.
- Formula Fields are not allowed in external object.
- Workflow and Trigger are not allowed in external object.